Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 5- Enoch and the Gorilla

Throughout this story, the reader gets the sense that Enoch has had a troubled past, and carries a negative aura with him. I noticed that O'Connor used the presence of rain quite often in this story, and I began to see it as a symbol of Enoch's outlook on life. The story starts out with a downpour where Enoch needs to borrow a broken umbrella. This directs the scene into a wearisome, defeated set of images. Continuing on, the presence of rain is mentioned in every page up to page five. It is almost as if it is a way of showing how Enoch feels that his life is sinking into the dreary rain, or is being washed away by it. For example, on page two, the narrator describes the music of the "Tarara Boom Die Aye" to be "almost drowned out by the rain" and how the Gonga truck's record was, "barely a mumble in the rain." On page five, however, the presence of rain seems to disappear. Coincidentally, this is the page where Enoch undergoes his transformation where he finally claims, "I know what I want." As a result, I thought that O'connor's utilization of rain as a symbol in Enoch's life throughout the story helped compliment the scenes as well as the changes that Enoch underwent in the story.

3 comments:

  1. I noticed that as well. This piece was a particular stand out for me in regards to all the other ones we've read as a class and I loved the author's use of rain throughout the passage. So many authors do this in a tacky way, and I think O'Connor really did a good job with it and its representation of Enoch's feelings throughout

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also noticed the rain throughout the first couple of pages. It definitely sets the mood for the entire piece, as Enoch seemingly perceives everyone as out to get him. For example, in the first page O'Connor brings the rain imagery together with this view when she states, "The umbrella assumed an ugly position, half up and half down...When this happened the children laughed and jumped up and down." To Enoch, the children are blatantly laughing at him and his deformed umbrella; however, this line could be read as the children simply goofing around and laughing in line. The broken, old umbrella Enoch carries almost symbolizes his inner outlook on life. He appears jaded and constantly annoyed with everyone as he feels always victimized by them. It makes me wonder if this is just Enoch's personality or perhaps he actually has a social disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was definitely a constant throughout the story. Enoch seemed to live a rough and tough life as he was picked on by children even younger then he was. This sets a depressing mood and as you said sets the way Enoch views his life, but simply wants to be accepted by society.

    ReplyDelete