Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Tempest (Please help me with this!!!)

Even after reading through 'The Tempest' several times, I still cannot manage to derive any meaning- I tried to Google it but couldn't find anything. There were several lines that really captured my interest, but just added to my frustration when I couldn't make sense of it! "The rapture was over." (stanza 1 line 8). The word rapture evokes images of total destruction, apocalypse. That being said, I'm struggling to find any other evidence to support the occurrence of such an event, so I have to assume that it's metaphorical. The description of the woman in stanza 1 really illustrates despair and grieving, but this person seems so disconnected from the rest of the poem...in the second stanza, the pronoun switches from 'she' to 'you'. I cannot even attempt to analyze the second stanza, as it left me completely bewildered. I'd be very interested to hear what others have to say.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the poem is purposefully disorienting. It will be interesting to talk about the reasons for and effects of this in class. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about as bewildered as you after reading "The Tempest", but after the discussions in class today I was able to make a lot more sense of it.. Tying the poem to the idea of the Harlem Renaissance period and highlighting the transitory tone of the piece helped to formulate a general sense of the poem, especially with the whole idea of moving from Mississippi to New York.

    ReplyDelete