Sunday, September 21, 2014

Yours Response

Underneath a very plain and subtle text is a feeling of unsettling resentment. I found the dialogue very passive aggressive. It seemed that both the characters had so much to say but they can't bring themselves to just come out with so they sort of go back and forth with these little irritable comments that mask there great feelings of resentment towards each other. The off-putting way both characters interact with each other reveal a certain coldness that inflicts those who are dealing with their mortality and haven't quite learned how to accept the unfortunate inevitable. Just through a simple activity like carving a pumpkin you can pick up on so much.

2 comments:

  1. I also picked up on the strange aggression in the dialogue, however in the context of the story - especially looking at Clark's very clear and tangible regret by the end - I think that they weren't angry at eachother so much as their hopeless situation. It's definitely an act of denial in the face of the inevitable, as you said, but in my opinion its not so much about resentment; when you look at it, Allison it the one who's being really passive aggressive - reasonable considering she is dying. Clark's responses all seem like he is trying to placate her, convince her of her significance before she passes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could definitely get the passive aggressive feeling you're talking about. While on my first read I sensed more of a melancholy feel, after further inspection you can see that every action they took seemed to be in spite of the other, or to prove a point.

    ReplyDelete