This piece was really interesting to me. At the start, it had sort of a morbid tone, our narrator saying that Colby had "gone too far", and it certainly had a threatening air to it in coincidence to the title. The piece adopted a much lighter tone as it went on, as though planning Colby's execution was something to be highly regarded, almost a festive event. The thought of a giant ball being the means by which Colby hanged himself was practically comedic as the text went on. But by the end, the shivers of unease were back as they brought back the threatening vibe of "going too far". In a sense, I felt as though it was nearly a message to the audience as they read the piece, like the narrator was insinuating that we cannot go too far either.
I loved the use of showing and telling that the author included. They left a lot to the imagination (what did Colby do?) which gave it an even darker edge depending on how you look at it. However, the situations they did describe as being rather light contrasted nicely against the theme of death throughout the text. It's interesting how the author made such a morbid topic so lighthearted without the reader even realizing that they'd been lulled into a sense of tranquility as they read about Colby's death plans.
I completely agree with you on the fact that the morbid topic written about in such a lighthearted way becomes so interesting. I was wondering if anyone else thought that this piece was just funny. I feel like Barthelme really wanted it to be lighthearted to the extent that it would almost seem comical. It reminded me of a Woody Allen movie or something—definite hints of satire.
ReplyDeleteIndeed, the piece does seem to create a lighthearted atmosphere. I think the amount of planning and thought that goes into this event serves to make the piece all the more disturbing. It shows that these people are capable of thinking rationally and behaving civilly, and yet they are planning to lynch their friend. The question is, does this indicate the unbalanced mental state of the townsfolk, or the severity of Colby's crime?
ReplyDelete