Sunday, September 21, 2014

Week Four- "Yours"

In my film class, we recently discussed the idea of challenging preconceived notions of plot lines. The viewer expects one thing to happen, and then something else does. Similarly, I think the piece "Yours" does the same thing. We, as readers, looked at the two characters Allison and Clark. We expect Clark, since he's the older of the two, to die sooner than Allison. Then Robison turns it around and makes Allison die before him.

I recently read a piece where a similar thing happened. The author spends the first section of the piece describing and focusing on a dying dog, and then something completely unexpected happens that has nothing to do with the dog. (http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1996/06/24/the-fourth-state-of-matter).

I think it's really interesting how an author can change a piece to make it completely different than the reader first thought. That command over craft in these two pieces completely blows me away, and I really want to imitate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment