So I suppose what I'm getting at is, there were misleading parts or rather parts to this piece that made you jump to conclusions and then later find that you're conclusion was wrong. But thats what kept the drive of this story, it had you think one thing and then made into soothing else. Filled with surprises and and overall rather interesting piece.
Sunday, September 21, 2014
Week 5 -Enoch and the Gorilla
This piece was really confusing for a while, it spun in my head as I tried to re -read sections and wrap my head around what was going on. At first I pictured Enoch as an older man as the beginning of the story mentioned, " Enoched had borrowed his landlady's Umbrella-". The first thing that I figured was he owed his own home of some sort and was some awkward looking man. He even stated he hated kids as he stood in line to wait for the gorilla. We find out he is actually 18 and the ends of his front teeth were broken off. We also get a sense that this "Gorilla" is an animal from a zoo of some sort but instead its some jerk in a suit. But what really threw me off was how Enoch suddenly found some inner courage after reading the whereabouts of all the stops this fake gorilla was going to be. I would have never suspected Enoch to jump into the van and suit up in the gorilla suit. I took it that he had a great idea to rat out the fake gorilla and show everyone that he's a fake. When he began to dig a hole for his cloths and put on the gorilla suit, I pictured a man transforming into a werwolf but instead this was a gorilla. I had to read it over a few times to finally understand what was going on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was also convinced that Enoch was an old man until the story stated that he was 18. All of his actions and characteristics described an old man, not a teenage boy and I wonder if that was intended. I also agree that there really was no moment when Enoch would be expected to have gained the courage to jump in the truck an steal the gorilla suit. Looking at the schedule wouldn't hype him up, at least I wouldn't think so. That part of the story could have been written better.
ReplyDelete