I thought this piece was really interesting because I, as a writer, always draw on inspiration from my personal life for material. It's understandable, though, that writers have to be cautious when speaking of people in their personal life because they could be offended very easily. Just because a quality of a person in someone's life is the inspiration of a character, doesn't mean they are necessarily that character in all respects but, it makes sense why offense could be drawn.
This article mostly explored the cons of taking inspiration from your life, but I believe that there are many pros. Like, characters who are parts of people in your life can become the most real. If they are based off an actual person than they can be more humanistic. Also, writing about people in your life helps you understand them better, I feel like.
Many writers ignore all the naysayers who think it to be too risky a move and just go for it, and I believe that produces some of the best writing.
I really like how you analyzed this for a more positive read. I definitely think "mining" from personal relationships can be beneficial to one's writing. Personal experiences are full of great things that spark interests and ideas that can be written on and expanded on. To the critics that say it's too risky, I believe you can use people in your life in your writing but certainly to a limitation or just give yourself boundaries. Like taking a step back and seeing how much is too much because offending someone important in your life will never be worth writing a great piece.
ReplyDelete