I really enjoyed this poem and the shift between the physical and emotional qualities of the house. The lines, "We love each crooked room...we'd make repairs / but leave untouched some of your shaky grace," show that the house has become a part of the family in some way. After reading, I assumed that this family has lived in the house for a long time. Knowing this, I predict that each fixable imperfection can perhaps symbolize a memory of some sort. Eliminating the house’s quirks would be like tainting memories. The lines, “you remind us to hold dear / beautiful failures of our own design / and love the lives we build,” also show what an intricate part of the family the house has become. The house has also made each family member comfortable with their own imperfections. The crumbling house helps this family understand that nothing in this world is perfect.
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
Week 3- To a Crumbling House
I really enjoyed this poem and the shift between the physical and emotional qualities of the house. The lines, "We love each crooked room...we'd make repairs / but leave untouched some of your shaky grace," show that the house has become a part of the family in some way. After reading, I assumed that this family has lived in the house for a long time. Knowing this, I predict that each fixable imperfection can perhaps symbolize a memory of some sort. Eliminating the house’s quirks would be like tainting memories. The lines, “you remind us to hold dear / beautiful failures of our own design / and love the lives we build,” also show what an intricate part of the family the house has become. The house has also made each family member comfortable with their own imperfections. The crumbling house helps this family understand that nothing in this world is perfect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I got the same kind of feeling after reading this poem. I like your analysis of saying that, "eliminating the house's quirks would be like tainting memories". To add on to your point, I think that Rathburn is trying to find positivity in the damaged parts of life, with this family, and with the world as a whole.
ReplyDeleteYes, the poem is interested in temporality, as you point out in these well-chosen lines.
ReplyDeleteI like how you equate "each fixable imperfection" of the house with one of the family's memories. It's like when you see chew marks on the leg of a coffee table or chair and think of when your puppy was teething, or something of the like. The poem is endearing and I enjoyed your analysis of it and its beautiful meaning.
ReplyDelete