I found "Still Life with Canary" frustrating to read. It constantly used language that I thought clashed, and word that I didn't have a ready definition to. So, I sucked it up, and looked up some definitions on Wikipedia. (I know. It's the most reliable source on the planet.)
Bauxite is a type of rock, which is, apparently, the world's main source of aluminum. The rock is also a red-brown color. I wasn't aware of this fact and had to change my mental image of the mines. It also leads to the idea that perhaps the poet, specifically chose bauxite to represent blood or, by extension, life.
Bindweed is, unsurprisingly, a type of weed. It has a white trumpet shaped flower, and it's considered an invasive weed. (They were always growing in my family's backyard, but they're very pretty as weeds go.)
There's also a variety of bindweed called black blindweed. I decided to search that specific type when I was trying to figure out the placement of the word "black" in line six. Someone said in class that it might be a reference to the coal they were covered in. Although, if they were mining bauxite and not coal, then they'd be covered in more of a red dust. I don't have much of a reason as to why I think black and bindweed should go together, other than their placements at the beginning and ending of line six makes them simultaneously stand out. Black bindweed is slightly different than normal bindweed. The petals are triangular shaped and much smaller than normal bindweed. They're also clustered closer together, which could be like the miners in the poem.
The last word I was unsure of was sackcloth, which ended up being more or less what I thought. It's a coarsely woven fabric, which I don't think is particularly calm except for the bland tan color.
While, I realize this wasn't much of an analysis of the poem, I thought it was important to look at individual word choice, because poets don't just through in random vocabulary. They think about each word and it's placement. Given the fact that all of these words were in "stand- out" places (before a ceasura, at the beginning of a line, and at the end of the line), I figured it'd be a good idea to examine the poet's word choice to get more potential meaning from the poem.
This is a great effort and a great idea, Lizzie! Have you ever used the Oxford English Dictionary? The OED is the best and most reliable source for looking up the meanings of words--and Milne Library has it accessible as an e-resource (you have to log in with your Geneseo username and password)---do a Title search and you'll find it!
ReplyDelete