Sunday, September 7, 2014

Week 3 - The Red Wheelbarrow

After reading this simplistic yet unique piece, I hadn't quite realized why Williams had written it nor what he was trying to infer to us the reader. After reading the explanation of the poem I finally understood. Williams wanted to convey that life can be viewed in several different ways, sometimes we get told to think outside the box, see the big picture and stop seeing the small things. Well that was made clear in  stanza 3 and 4," Glazed with rain -Water.". This makes you think of water droplets on this wheel barrow but the closer you look you realize its a sleek glaze of water slicked all over the wheel barrow. The idea of raindrops goes from broad image to a small detailed perspective image.  But then in stanza 4 Willams starts from a close up perspective by saying in the 1st line, " Beside the white.". So you image to yourself simply a white slate. But he then backs up to give you the reader a full view being the last line of the stanza, " Chickens.". Anything could have been white but by putting something in a different viewing you see its not just a color white, but yet its white chickens! A very simplistic yet detailed way of writing without the reader realizing it. I thought that was a very witty way of writing that I've never thought of before.

1 comment:

  1. It was THIS comment I was talking about in class! About the penultimate line with "white" in it. I like how you notice that the line breaks encourage a kind of "backing up"...well observed. And the observation that the line break on the word white encourages imagining a white slate, which then becomes white chickens.... Yes, a fine-grained and keen description of this aspect of the poem.

    ReplyDelete