Sunday, September 7, 2014

Week 3- The Red Wheelbarrow

The blunt simplicity of the poem creates a very real, photographic image in the reader's mind. With such a short text (nineteen words, title included), I figure that each word must be absolutely essential. Two of the nineteen words were dedicated to color, meaning that Williams really wanted to emphasize that vivid imagery. Williams' use of line break was very consistent and organized, but I have yet to determine its relevance in the poem itself. There could possibly be a connection between "wheel/barrow" (human-made, mechanical) "rain/water" (nature) and "white/chickens" (animal), in that the three elements coexist peacefully in this pleasant scene. Blythe and Sweet raise an interesting point in their critical review of 'The Red Wheelbarrow', drawing attention to the disordered perspectives. I think this helps to create a cinematic image. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you; the poet made sure that each word was essential in giving us the perfect description of the wheelbarrow and its surroundings, yet there is still so much left to our imagination.

    ReplyDelete