One
aspect of this story, aside from the purposeful vagueness of the identity or
point of view of the narrator, which really captured me was the rhythm that
Martone created through repetition, both through diction and subject
matter. This created an almost droning effect as I read it to myself. The repetitious
description of the cows, their behavior and the generations of cows that came
before them also helped encapsulate the droning monotony of a landscape that
rolled on and on and on, flat in every direction. The way he describes the people
at the fair roaming around, eating, chewing, consuming thoughtlessly and
endlessly directly mimics the cows, making the people feel like cattle in our
proverbial eyes. The whole piece has this unsettling way of making everything
blend together – fields and roads, cattle and people – melting into Dali-esque
dreamscape. It becomes even more surreal as it draws to a close, the repetition
of words growing closer together until sentences are hardly coherent, and
leaving, at least to me, a yawning, empty space which soon after floods with confusion.
This piece left me with the kind of frustration I get when not only I do not
understand, but feel as though I was never meant
to understand in the first place.
No comments:
Post a Comment