Maybe I’ve just watched “Frosty the Snowman” too many times,
but to me, Stevens’ “The Snow Man” tells about the relationship between a snow
man (two words) and a snowman (one word). I noticed that there seem to be two
characters- someone with “a mind of winter” and someone who’s “the listener”. I
think the former is the snowman: because he has “a mind of winter” and has
“been cold a long time”, the sound of the wind picking up or of trees dropping
their leaves is not one of misery for him; quite the opposite, for as a
snowman, he needs cold and snow to survive. Then we have “the listener”. He
isn’t characterized nearly as heavily as the snowman; the only lines which I
found lent to his development were that he “listens” in the snow, as if waiting
for the right conditions in which to make a snowman, and that he “beholds… the
nothing that is [there]”, meaning he sees the possibility for building a
snowman and imagines it is already there; it just has yet to be carved out of
the wintry landscape.
Although I didn’t understand the
big picture that “The Tempest” paints, I enjoyed the poem’s language and the
smaller images it conveys. The subject seems to be going through a difficult
time. “The urge to see through things” expresses desperation, a feeling which
is later solidified by the description of the subject weeping, words like
“tragic”, and the presence of a knife. The yearning for clearer vision is
elaborated by “the blue square becomes a window, the box a building”- blurry,
generic forms are taking the shape of actual objects, perhaps as the
desperation passes and the subject regains her clarity. In the second stanza, I
read “the bus takes off from the base of a column” as another example of fuzzy
vision because the bus stop or station that is implied is not described as a
building but as a simple pillar shape. As for the shift in voice from “she” to
“you” between the first and second stanzas, I love how it allows for so much
creative interpretation. “She” and “you” could be the same person, having a
sort of out-of-body experience by the end of the poem, with the actions in the
second stanza taking place after those in the first. Or, “she” and “you” could be
the same person, but reflecting on the course her life really took (first
stanza) versus what could have happened (second stanza). This second
interpretation would explain why at the beginning of both stanzas, the subject
is experiencing “blurred” vision. She is experiencing some kind of trouble,
causing her not to see clearly, and she could either sit down by the
Mississippi and cry, or get on a bus.
I really enjoyed “The Marvel” for
its imagery and the story it tells (as well as the theme, because I’m a sucker
for nautical stuff). I love the gritty, tough, unforgiving feel of the poem,
enhanced by words like “thirsty”, “corpse”, “gluttonous”, and “burning”. There
is an obvious connection to be made with Melville’s Moby Dick, regarding
the complex relationship between a man and the creature he hunts: in both
texts, the creature, in its own world, is towards the top of both the literal
and figurative food chain (in this poem for example, the swordfish is called
“baron of the sea” and “lord”); in the human world where man sits atop the food
chain, it is objectified, victimized, and preyed upon, but not without
consequence or revenge.
I agree with your views regarding The Marvel. I didn't like it when I first read it, but after looking at it a few more times, I began to notice all the stuff that you pointed out. Maybe it's because I'm drawn to darker themes, but the use of certain words (corpse, burning) were stand-outs in the poem and drew me in more than a subdued vocabulary ever could have on its own.
ReplyDeleteIn accordance with your thoughts on "The Tempest", I was also interested in the shift of narrative between the stanzas. There are so many interpretations that can be made about the speaker. Although, I like your idea that the speaker from the first stanza must decide what to do about her troubles and has the option of staying in the darkness of the first stanza and crying or joining the more upbeat second stanza and getting on the bus to do something about it. That isn't how I thought about it when I first read the poem, but I like it very much.
ReplyDeleteAn interesting proposition about the possibility of two presences in the Stevens poem. A neat idea.
ReplyDelete