Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Crumbling House


There is more meaning to this poem than just a deteriorating heap of ruble. To me I see a family. I see two parents who have built this life in this house for them and there kids.  I see ply wood broken and plaster worn away. I see this dreary rain running in streaks down the window. It's cold and rainy and the house is falling apart but on the inside everything is warm and held together. I see a fireplace with a roaring cracking flame. I see a couch with a mother and a father sitting and watching. They intently stare with bliss and a sense of accomplishment. They gaze upon two little children playing with there toy cars and what not; and as they stare there children get older and within a couple of blinks they are grown up and gone. They don't tear down this house or rebuild it. They don't do this because it's not theirs. That house was never for them it was always for there children. To them that house nurtured and helped raise their kids, and because of this fact to alter the ascetic beauty of this crumbling home would be a sacrament to all the warm moments of love that were shared inside.  

1 comment:

  1. I also thought of a family picking out the problems of their house on the exterior. Another layer to this I thought of was how we pick out the flaws of things like houses and cars and materialistic things but we also do that to ourselves. A line in the poem says "halt your slow decline/around us, you remind us to hold dear/ beautiful failures of our own design". Beautiful failures is a way of saying perfection is impossible and failures are ultimately more beautiful than perfections because perfection is intangible. The house isn't perfect, but neither are humans. The house provided love and comfort and a roof over a family and the parents did so to their children.

    ReplyDelete