Monday, October 6, 2014
Week 6 Time and Distance Overcome
For me, this piece was extremely disturbing to read. It didn't start out this way; in fact the beginning gave absolutely no hints of where this piece would go and how it would turn out. I originally thought that this piece would go into detail about the invention of telephone poles, how and where they were set up, and stories about how they overrode multiple objections. But as I read further into this piece I realized that the author was only preparing us for what was to come. Bliss starts out with the way telephone phone poles came about and then moves on to how they were put up and how much fighting took place over whether or not they should be put up. When she moves into the shocking cruelty brought about by these polls, I started to wonder if they were truly worth it. There were people who never wanted them up to begin with, and they were more often serving the unjust purpose of executions because very few people used telephones. They were used to painfully execute African Americans for no real reasons. They were undeservedly burned, beaten, cut, electrocuted, and much worse; all they asked for in return was time to pray. This was very hard for me to read and it made me question if we really needed telephone poles. Today they are no longer shaped like a crucifix, but I will never look at a telephone pole the same way. This piece was an eye opener; and though it doesn't show our country in a positive light, I learned more about the past that everyone tries to forget.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought this piece was powerful as well. I had no idea while reading the piece that there was a history so cruel behind something we see and use every day. Bliss' piece was provoking and made us both question if telephone poles were actually worth the chaos and murders of many. The historical background and plentiful information on something so simple was shocking and made the piece that much interesting even though it was difficult material to read and believe.
ReplyDelete