Sunday, October 5, 2014
Week 6- Time and Distance Overcome
I really admire the style of this piece and how the author goes about expressing her opinion. I like how she saved her meaning of the telephone pole until the end. The whole piece was meant to taint the reader's vision, in a way, of the telephone pole. This allowed for the reader's opinion to align with hers in the end. Our vision changes throughout the piece as hers did. She says, "I believed that the arc of telephone wires along the roadways was beautiful...I believed that the telephone itself was a miracle." This shows that she once felt a specific way but altered her opinion after a telephone pole "smashed [her grandfather] onto the road." She then says, "these poles do not look the same to me." Her view has clearly been tainted due to such a tragic accident. She uses the history of telephone pole hangings to create a horrified feeling in the readers so they too will not look at telephone poles the same ever again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment