Sunday, October 5, 2014
week 6- Time and distance overcome
The structure of this piece really amazed me. It felt like I was reading accurate, unbiased history that had creative and interesting language all about the significance of a telephone pole. I never thought about the establishment and history behind a telephone pole, so it was shocking and enlightening to read about stories about the horrific and negative ways people used this new part of life. Telephone poles are apart of our every day life an communication, and I know I do not think twice when I look outside my window and see two or three around me. I am very aware about the tradgies of lynchings, primarily in the South, but I had no idea that telephone poles were once used for lynching in 46 states. The piece shows how an invention intentioned for easier communication ultimately had an unintended side effect- it was the perfect mechanism for hanging men during the race riots. Very clever and well put together I thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment