Sunday, October 5, 2014
week 5- Enoch and the Gorilla
In this piece I feel there is a lot about Enoch that is not directly said to us, but rather showed through actions and words in the story. We read about the children Enoch is surrounded by in line for the gorilla greeting and it seems out of place for a young adult male to be in line for the same thing. An interaction between him and the waitress seems to scream of a sort of social disability. "The waitress happened to turn around to see if he hadn't gone. 'What's the matter with you?' she said. 'Did you swallow a seed?' 'I know what I want,' Enoch murmured. Enoch completely ignores the waitress' question and instead it is like he is talking out loud to himself or is in his world. This is common with kids or adults with a mental disability or social problem. Enoch's character seems to be highly underdeveloped for his age and we feel a lot of empathy towards this lost man in a big world by himself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment